Monday, April 18, 2011

There is nothing like homecoming. nothing.

If you have been reading this for a while, or know us personally, then you will know that Chad is/was a Marine who did 2 tours in Iraq. The Marine Corps will always hold a special place in both of our hearts because it was pretty much the beginning of our life together as a family. The friends we made with his unit , 2/1, became family to us as we were so far from our own.  Chad and his buddies were like brothers and I became friendly  with their  wives. There were several of us who were pregnant together with our first children when the guys were gone, and we all became very close friends. We stood there together on the night they left not knowing if they would ever come home to meet the babies that we were carrying- that is not a feeling that many people you meet will ever know. There is absolutely nothing scarier. The military life is hard, and although it was not something we chose for the future of our family, I know we will always remember it fondly and always pray for  our dear friends who are still serving.
The reason for this post??
A group of Chad’s buddies just arrived home from Afghanistan yesterday, proudly escorted by the Patriot Guard. If you aren’t familiar with the Patriot Guard, they are a group motorcyclists who are either veterans or military supporters.. You can find them at funerals for the fallen or homecomings just like this one… they are awesome and I am so glad they came out to see our friends come home! Be sure to check out all the old vets smiling, giving high fives, and shaking the hands of the Marines.. Doesn't it give you chills? I am so very thankful to these brave marines and their families who sacrifice to much to keep us safe.
IMG_5288 IMG_4945 Chelsea (below) and I were pregnant together and her husband Kyle and Chad were “boyfriends” during the last  deployment… Chad and Kyle met their babies for the first time together- it was the sweetest moment!!!!
It is so wonderful to see Chelsea, Kayden, and Kyle reunited! We miss you guys so much!IMG_5048 IMG_5083 IMG_5092 IMG_5122 IMG_5124 IMG_5145
(all photos shared from patriot guard website)
WELCOME HOME 2/1 ADVON…. THANK YOU FOR YOUR BRAVE SERVICE!!!!!!!!
And because this drums up all kinds of emotions and nostalgia for me, I have to post a few from our homecoming in July 2009- The second best day of my life!
GuessHomecoming_19GuessHomecoming_23  
 GuessHomecoming_24 GuessHomecoming_32 GuessHomecoming_37
There is nothing sweeter than this.

Thanks for letting me share the special moments that come at the end of those 7 long months. I just feel like people should see pictures like the ones of our friends from yesterday and feel touched and thankful. Not every 2/1 Marine made it home this time, so my heart goes out to the widows, children, and families who lost someone they loved.  Freedom is not free!

7 comments:

  1. Tears of joy fill my eyes. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father served in the Army for 22 years. I know this feeling so well. I still get chills remembering my father's homecomings. There is nothing sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did some blog hopping and found yours. funny bc my hubby is with 2/1 and currently deployed right now! he will be home next month! just thought i would share! who was your photogrpaher for your homecoming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, LOVE this! tell your man thank you from lolly jane!! my hubs is a police officer, i hate that he has a scary job so i can somewhat relate.

    ps: LOVE your new blog design!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crying again.. just like the first time I saw Chad's homecoming pictures! Thank you to all the service men and women!! You are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so moving! No wonder America is such a great country!God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Here from A Mommy's Sweet Blog. I am following you so that I may stop by again!

    ReplyDelete